Ok, my last blog post was like six months ago and I said I wanted to blog more in my last one. I kinda suck. I’ve started a few potential posts that I never finished, which, for me, is progress, but…..I know, I know.
Anyway, I had some 2017 goals that I put out there in January and I’ve been mentally evaluating how I’m doing.
- More yoga, meditation and exercise Yup, yep, and yep. More on that.
- Watch less TV. Seriously, it’s a time suck and hindering me doing other things Getting there. I have a few core shows that I won’t give up, but I love the DVR, so I can watch them when I want AND fast forward.
- More reading. I’ll have time for this if I watch less TV. Duh Getting there. I discovered that the library near my office is on the same network as my city’s library and I can get books there. I’ve also downloaded the library’s e-book app, too.
- More fun times with friends Yup. Realizing how lucky I am that my best friend of 23 years and I ended up living so close to each other and that our kids are close.
- More date nights with my husband. We do get out—it’s great having older kids who can stay home for a few hours so we can spontaneously grab dinner together—but we don’t make it a priority and don’t plan to do different things We’ve done a few different things lately and went to the movies a few weeks ago. We realized we hadn’t gone to see a movie just us since we were dating.
- Visit more new places, both local and further away We went to NYC over the boys’ spring break from school. I’d never been before and absolutely loved it. I want to go back.
- Teach my kids to cook I think my husband has been working on this one with them. I’m a lousy cook. I should probably join in on the lessons! 🙂
- Spend more time outdoors Yup! More walking in the beautiful areas near our home.
- Blog more We all know the answer to this one.
So, bullet point one: I do yoga a few nights a week. I use an app and do it at home and keep it simple. I love restorative yoga and it helps with my flexibility, relaxes me and helps me sleeps on the nights I need some help there. I was better about the meditation at the beginning of the year and have kind of slacked off on this one, but I’m trying to get better about it again. I was also doing various exercise DVDs earlier in the year and while they provide me with great workouts, they aren’t ideal for me. I’m not as motivated to do them regularly and it’s easier to skip a day. I recently DISCOVERed boxing, however, and that has kind of been a game-changer for me. That actually deserves its own post, which means….I might actually have a new topic to write about soon!
Life isn’t perfect and it’s not always easy to stick to the goals one sets, but I’m definitely trying to be more mindful of the ones I set. I think that’s a success in and of itself.